Bethanie, Western Australia’s most recognised not-for-profit aged care and retirement living provider is excited to announce the eight finalists who will compete in the Big Bethanie Bake Off, taking place on Wednesday 13th November at Have-a-Go Day, a LiveLighter event.
Four seniors and four juniors have been chosen to compete against each other in the live bake-off competition. All entries were judged on creativity, nutritional value, and complexity of the recipe, along with the story behind their family recipe.
Bethanie CEO Chris How says, “The Big Bethanie Bake Off is now in its sixth year and I am fortunate to be a judge every year. Getting to taste everyone’s dishes is a bonus, but the real joy comes from hearing the stories behind where the dishes came from, many being handed down from one, two or sometimes three generations.
“Bringing students together with our seniors has seen the event become much more than a ‘bake off’. It’s an opportunity to reinforce the importance of learning about family histories through the sharing of ideas and traditions, creating wonderful memories for our children and closing the intergenerational gap.”
The 2019 Big Bethanie Bake Off Finalists are:
Senior Finalists -
- Shirley George from Bethanie Waters Aged Care Home for her Tapas Style – Spanish Prawns with Chorizo Sausages
- Errol Drane from Bethanie Illawong Aged Care Home for his Chicken Curry
- Dominic from Bethanie West Perth Living Well Centre for his Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Joan Edmonds from Bethanie West Perth Living Well Centre for Grandma’s Rhubarb Pie
Junior Finalists -
- Imogen Lines from Joondalup Primary School for Grandad’s Welsh Cakes
- LiahLowenhoff from St Anthony’s School Greenmount for her Polish Potato Pancakes
- Christina Tran Franklin from St Anthony’s School Greenmount for her Shepherd’s Pie
- Jessie McPhillips from Highgate Primary School for her Nonna Rosa’s Lasagna Dish
All finalists will need to recreate their dish at the live cook-off event where an expert judging panel will decide on a senior winner, junior winner and the overall Big Bethanie Bake Off champion.
At the Big Bethanie Bake Off marquee visitors can enjoy complimentary barista coffee and tea, free icy poles to keep cool and a relaxing lounge area to catch your breath.
- Event: Big Bethanie Bake Off
- Date: Wednesday 13 November 2019
- Time: 9.30am – 12.30pm
- Location: Have a Go Day - SITE 57 - Burswood Park, Great Eastern Highway, Burswood
Find out more about Bethanie.