Changes to Home Care Packages: What You Need to Know

on the Monday, October 31, 2016

From late February next year, all Home Care Packages will be offered under the Consumer Directed Care (CDC) model. This means that Home Care Packages will be able to be moved between home care providers, allowing consumers to shop around and find the best provider for their needs.

Consumers will be allocated an annual and individualised budget that they can use to spend on home care services to allow them to remain living independently at home.

Home Care Packages will still be managed by an approved Home Care provider and this will attract a small management fee. Approved providers will manage the funds and have a responsibility to ensure the funds are being spent in the correct way.

These changes also mean that Home Care Packages will be assigned to individual consumers rather than Home Care providers. Consumers can then hire individual home care support workers they trust based on their specific needs.

Some Home Care Package providers have offered services under the CDC model since 2015, however from February 27 2017, it will be mandatory for all providers. Consumer Directed Care will mean that:

  • Home Care Package consumers will have an annual budget to spend on the specific home care services they need
  • Home Care providers will now be more transparent and flexible about charges for services
  • Consumers will be able to choose their home care provider as well as individual carers

Government subsidised Home Care Packages are allocated different amounts depending on your assessed level of care: 

  • Level 1 Home Care Packages are designed for consumers with basic-level care needs
  • Level 2 Home Care Packages are designed for consumers with low-level care needs
  • Level 3 Home Care Packages are designed for consumers with intermediate-level care needs
  • Level 4 Home Care Packages are designed for consumers with high-level care needs

To find out if you are eligible to receive funding for a Home Care Package, you will need to undergo an assessment by what is called an ACAT (or ACAS in Victoria). Click here to find your nearest ACAT/ACAS.

Aged Care Online’s comprehensive directory of home care providers can assist you in finding the ideal home care provider for you or your loved one. Simply click on your state below to begin your search:

Bupa Home Page